Tuesday 23 April 2013

First things first - where's my welding table?

It wasn't long after starting the BBQ that I realized there was something missing from my shop that would make this project go smoothly.  That something is a descent table to weld on.  I already have a work bench, which is already quite cluttered with a vise, and grinder, and drill press, and some other junk... so instead of re-organizing all of that, I decided I'd build a portable folding welding table.  It didn't take long to find plans for this exact thing on the Miller Welding website.  And since I had some extra 1/4" plate from when I cut up the pieces for the firebox, I thought to myself, this will work out perfectly.

First thing the plans call for is to cut and weld the 1 1/4" square tubing for the base of the table top.  I had two options for cutting these pieces.. cut-off disc in the angle grinder, or plasma cutter... PLASMA CUTTER every time baby!  Would be nice to pick up a good used metal band saw one day tho.  Maybe if I build a second welding table, someone might be willing to trade for one.

Well, got the tubing all cut and edges ground flat and it's time to weld.  Again, two choices... stick or TIG?  Think I'll practice some TIG today.  And since I'm running really low on argon, I'll just weld until I'm forced to stop.

Got the pieces all fit together, fusion tacked each of the pieces, and then ran some beads with some ER70S-2 rod.  It had been some time since my last TIG practice, so some of the welds turned out a bit globby, but all in all, I was happy with the results.  I was able to get one side welded up before running out of argon.  You can see the last two welds on the right where the steel started to oxidise because there was no shielding gas.


So, no more argon, what else can I do today?  Perhaps cut the two pieces which attach to the bottom of this frame in which the legs will be bolted to and pivot in.  Again, plasma made quick work of these pieces.


This is where they will be welded in place.


Think I'll be grinding some rust off of these the next chance I get as the TIG process certainly won't like that.

That's all I had time for today.  It was nice and sunny out so figured I'd take the car out for her first run of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment