Saturday 11 May 2013

It's standing under it's own weight

I guess I'm pretty much finished the table..


..well, except for some of the finer details, such as the top piece and maybe paint.

The night before last I finished welding the leg cross members on and any other corners in the frame that I had forgotten.

Then last night I started by sectioning the 1" flat stock into the pieces which hold the legs in position.  I figured I would try out the cut off disc in my angle grinder, as I didn't need the plasma cutter or welder for anything else and didn't want to string out all the cables for a couple of cuts.

I didn't know this at the time, but it might have almost been a safer bet to actually use the plasma cutter.  You see, when I was making one of the cuts, the disc violently dug into the piece being cut and jerked the angle grinder out of my hands.  Luckily I didn't try to recover the fumble, but instead tried to get every appendage that I care about out of the way as fast as possible and avoided a catastrophe!  Only thing that was destroyed was the new cut off disc as the grinder hit the cement floor... but I couldn't care less.

So, with all of the flat bar cut, I clamped the similar lengths together, center punched where the holes would go on each end, and drilled them on the drill press.  This is flying faster than I expected at this point and quickly realized that my table would be standing in a matter of minutes.

I retrieved by bag of bolts, determined which pieces needed to be bolted to which holes and started to piece it together.


At this point, I encountered two things which would need to be worked around.  First, there must be a set of holes in some piece which aren't completely even with the rest as my front legs have a bit of a twist in them and I need to pry up on one side to get the flat bar attached.  Second, when I fold the table up, the middle bolt on the bottom pieces of flat bar hits the legs.. so I need to add in some washers on the other side of the pieces to give it some room to play.  Think I might eventually cut off the head of the bolts and weld the stud to one of the pieces, so I don't need all those washers.


Then finally, the last thing I did last night was to grind down the welds on the table top frame to receive the 1/4" table top, when I get around to cutting it.


And then I sat on the table to test it out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment